Internationally Educated Nurse (IEN)

Who can apply as an IEN?

  • You were educated at the Registered Nurse level and completed your education program outside of Canada.
  • You were registered as an RN in the country you completed your RN education program or registered in another country outside of Canada.

Who is not eligible to apply?

  • You were not educated as the RN level but were educated as a practical nurse, midwife or psychiatric nurse.
  • You were never registered as a RN.

Note: All IENs who want to register with the College must first apply to the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) online application service. The NNAS is an education credential assessment service that will verify an applicant’s:

  • Identify
  • Nursing education program(s)
  • Nursing licensure
  • Nursing employment

You must create an account with NNAS, pay the main application fee ($650) and select CRNNL as your province of choice. You will be required to have documentation submitted to NNAS by your school of nursing, licensing body and employer(s). See NNAS Handbook for more information.

NNAS will evaluate your nursing education program for comparability to the Canadian entry to practice competencies and you will receive an Advisory Report. Following receipt of your Advisory Report you must submit an application for provisional registration to the College. See below for overview of the steps to registration in Newfoundland and Labrador.