NOTICE: On April 3rd, 2023 the RN Regulations were amended to include the addition of a Supervised Practice Experience Partnership Program (SPEPP) for RN Re-entry; to meet the currency of practice hours requirement for renewal of an RN practising license.
Registrants who no longer meet the currency of practice hours requirement for renewal of an RN practising license, under Section 12 of the RN Regulations, may regain their eligibility by completing one of the following:
- approved RN Re-Entry program – current program offered in NL is available at the Centre for Nursing Studies. Visit the program website for detailed information on the application process, program requirements and cost.
- Supervised Practice Experience Partnership Program (SPEPP) – employment focused program, available to eligible registrants. See below for additional information.
Upon completion of the Re-Entry or SPEPP program the Registrant will be eligible to re-apply for RN licensure.
Supervised Practice Experience Partnership Program (SPEPP) – Interim Licence with Conditions (IL-C)
The SPEPP is a regulatory program that is employment focused and available to individuals seeking re-licensure with the College. To be eligible for the program individuals must:
- Presently or previously been registered/licensed as an RN with the College or another Canadian regulatory body;
- Registration status must be in good standing;
- Have practice hours as a RN within the last 10 years. Hours not on file with the College must be submitted and verified.
Note: If there are no practice hours in the last 10 years the individual must complete the RN Re-entry program.
For additional information on SPEPP see the College’s SPEPP Guide and Frequently Asked Questions RN-Re-entry Fact Sheet. The guide includes forms that must be submitted by the applicant and the supporting employer/organization.
Eligible re-entry applicants will apply for an interim licence with conditions (IL-C) and must have an NL employer. The IL-C will be granted for a 6-month period and may be extended. The program includes 450 hours of practice in a mutually agreed on area of practice with a minimum of 135 hours under the direct supervision of an experienced RN preceptor and the remaining hours (315) under direct or indirect supervision.
Click here to open the IL-C Re-entry application.
Note: Individuals who held a practicing licence in the immediately preceding licensure year and have practice hours from that year, but are not eligible for renewal, may be eligible for a condensed version of SPEPP allowing them to obtain the outstanding number of hours they need to meet the legislative requirement.
For questions related to RN Re-Entry, contact [email protected].