FAQ: New Provincial COVID-19 Vaccine Regulations and Mandatory Vaccination Requirements
The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador has released new COVID-19 Vaccine Regulations under the Public Health Protection and Promotion Act.
These regulations come into force on December 17, 2021 and may apply to your practice as a registered nurse (RN) or nurse practitioner (NP).
Section 3 (1)(2)(3) requires full vaccination or a medical exemption when RNs/NPs practice falls within the schedule detailed in the regulations:
(1) An individual who is employed by or who provides services to a business, facility or organization listed in the schedule shall not enter the premises unless the individual is fully vaccinated or has been granted an approved medical exemption.
(2) The owner or operator of a business, facility or organization listed in the schedule shall ensure that an individual who is employed by or who provides services to the business, facility or organization and who enters the premises is fully vaccinated or has been granted an approved medical exemption.
(3) A self-employed individual who provides the services of a business, facility or organization listed in the schedule shall not enter the premises in which the person provides the services unless the person is fully vaccinated or has been granted an approved medical exemption.
Under section 4(1), if you are an owner, operator, or employee of a business, facility, or organization listed in the schedule, you are required to request that an individual provide:
- proof of vaccination or proof of approved medical exemption; and
(b) proof of identity.
Under section 2(a), an approved medical exemption means an exemption granted in accordance with guidelines issued by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Newfoundland and Labrador (CPSNL) by
- a medical practitioner licensed under the Medical Act, 2011, or
- a nurse practitioner licensed under the Registered Nurses Act, 2008.
For further information please refer to the College’s recent FAQ: NPs Providing Medical Exemptions for COVID-19 Vaccinations located under Vaccinations under Practice Topics on CRNNL’s new website.
All registrants should be aware of any obligations they may have under the new COVID-19 Regulations. For further details on the Schedule and what is required in your practice setting, please refer to the COVID-19 regulations:
For more information, please contact: